Opening statements begin in long-awaited trial almost 30 years after hip-hop star Tupac Shakur was murdered

Duane Davis is being accused of planning the fatal 1996 Las Vegas shooting which claimed the life of hip-hop’s rising star Tupac Shakur. Davis was the first to be charged in connection with the murder, after he was indicted in 2023.
A prosecutor said on Monday that while few have been willing to speak about the 1996 killing of prominent hip-hop star Tupac Shakur, Duane “Keffe D” Davis is the “one person who has a hard time being silent.”

“Let’s be clear, Duane Davis did not pull the trigger. But he did plan the shooting in retaliation of the beating of his nephew,” Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal told jurors at the start of Davis’ Las Vegas trial. “Remarkably, you will learn that from Duane Davis himself.”

Davis, 63, could get life in prison if he’s convicted of murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. He has pleaded not guilty. His lawyer in the defence opening slammed the prosecution’s narrative as “fiction.”

Palal showed jurors video of Shakur’s entourage attacking Davis’ nephew, Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, outside the boxing match at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, just hours before the shooting on 7 September, 1996.

Davis spent the next two hours planning how to get even, said Palal, and Shakur was gunned down “in an act of revenge.” Shakur remains a cultural icon and is considered one of the most influential and versatile rappers of all time, despite dying at 25.

In a 2008 interview with a federal task force investigating the killing of Shakur’s rival, the Notorious B.I.G., Davis instead talked about the Shakur shooting. He described handing a gun to the men in the backseat of a white Cadillac that fired on a black BMW with Shakur and Marion “Suge” Knight inside.

As prosecutors played audio of Davis explaining the moment Shakur was shot, members of Shakur’s family, including his stepbrother Maurice “Mopreme” Shakur, stared ahead and listened intently from the audience. Palal told jurors Davis held onto a visceral hatred for Shakur for decades that drove him to speak.

He said the defendant talked to the FBI in 1998 and again in 1999, admitting he had been in Las Vegas at the time of the shooting. The prosecutor added that in 2009, Davis admitted to his role in the killing in an interview with Las Vegas police.

“And now 30 years later, we’re going to ask you to finally hold Duane Davis accountable,” Palal said.

He also showed jurors the 2019 memoir that Davis co-authored, “Compton Street Legend,” that the prosecution will use and that the defence fought to keep out of the trial, along with several of the defendant’s interviews.

“What they are telling you, they are representing as fact, when it’s really fiction,” said Davis’ attorney Michael Sanft. “There’s no facts, he added, noting that Davis wasn’t previously charged because law enforcement knew that he was “full of crap.”

The defence attorney also pointed to missing documents in the original investigation and distrust between police departments. He called one detective’s work “biased,” “sloppy” and “incomplete.”

The story of the drive-by shooting has long gripped the hip-hop community, partly because no one was charged until Davis was indicted in 2023. The other three men riding in the Cadillac have all died in the years since.

Retired Las Vegas police officer Garry Dale was the first of the 35 to 45 witnesses the prosecution plans to call at the trial expected to last about a month. He testified that he and another officer stopped Knight and Shakur’s car for missing a license plate, warned them and let them go.

About 10 minutes later the officers responded to a shooting call and found EMTs pulling Shakur from the car. Dale said Knight had been grazed by bullets, but told the officers to take care of Shakur.

Dale jumped in the ambulance and asked Shakur who shot him. The retired officer said that Shakur said something like “no, we’ll take care of it.”

Brent Becker, a former Las Vegas homicide detective, testified that Knight showed up to a police interview with attorneys, which he thought was odd because Knight was a victim. Knight was timid, his interview was practiced and he told investigators he knew nothing, Becker said. “I thought he lied to us,” Becker said in video testimony.

He added that it was difficult to get other witnesses to talk and that at the time, they “were leaning on” Davis, Anderson, Deandrae “Freaky” Smith and Terry “Bubble Up” Brown as the men in the Cadillac, but had no living witnesses who could identify them.

Euronews

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *