President Donald Trump on Monday said the U.S. would “bomb the s— out of” Oman if the Gulf nation “gets in the way,” as Washington’s 60-day ceasefire with Iran expires with no official negotiations or deal in sight.
Trump also claimed that informal talks are taking place with Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, but said he is “not in a hurry” to make a deal.
“They’re good poker players, but they’re dying,” Trump said in a Fox News interview.
Trump doubled down on his claims hours later, telling reporters in the Oval Office he’s not looking to extend the U.S. ceasefire deal with Iran, which was signed in mid-June and is set to lapse Monday.
“No,” Trump said when asked if he would seek an extension of that temporary truce.
When asked again about Oman, Trump said the longtime U.S. strategic ally hasn’t “behaved very well.”
“But we’d handle them very easily, just like we do other things,” Trump added.
The 60-day memorandum of understanding with Iran was initially touted as a major step toward reopening the Strait of Hormuz and clearing a path to finalizing a long-term deal on Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.
But the agreement was largely disregarded within weeks, as each side repeatedly accused the other of violating its terms. Military operations resumed in the region soon after; in mid-July, Trump declared the ceasefire over.
Since then, Trump has repeatedly insisted Iran wants to make a peace agreement with the U.S.
“They want to make a deal, but they’re not going to make the kind of a deal that I feel is necessary,” Trump said in the Oval Office on Monday when asked if the two sides are making any progress.
But Tehran has denied that negotiations with the U.S. are underway. Rather, Iran says it is in active talks with Oman over a deal to reopen the Hormuz Strait. The waterway has been largely blocked to commercial transit compared to prewar levels, when 20% of the world’s oil trade would pass through it.
In a Truth Social post Monday morning, Trump reiterated the U.S. stance that Iran must agree to give up on possessing nuclear weapons.
“The number one Goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way, shape, or form, a Nuclear Weapon,” Trump wrote.
Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and senior aide, told Fox on Monday that Iran currently is “not showing any interest” in a deal that the U.S. would consider.
CNBC
