Four suspected armed robbers were shot dead while two others were arrested following a shootout with police in Warren Park, on March 30, as authorities intensify efforts to curb a surge in violent crime.
In a statement, national police spokesperson, Commissioner Paul Nyathi, confirmed the developments linking the suspects to a series of armed robbery cases committed in and around Harare between February and March this year.
“The Zimbabwe Republic Police confirms the arrest of Nelson Chitima (28), Edson Guvira (38) and the subsequent death of Mike Manyima (37), Office Chanakira (38) and two other suspects only identified as Atenzi and Chris following a shootout with the police in Warren Park, Harare, on 30 March 2026,” he said.
Commissioner Nyathi said detectives from CID Homicide Harare acted on received information leading to the arrest of Chitima at his residence in Glenview 7 Extension.
“On 30 March 2026, detectives from CID Homicide Harare acted on received information and arrested Nelson Chitima at his residence,” he said.
Following his arrest, Chitima implicated his accomplices, leading to significant recoveries.
“His arrest led to the recovery of a Nissan NV350 vehicle which they used as a getaway car, a white balaclava, two pairs of gloves and an assortment of liquor,” Nyathi said.
Police then set up a trap for Guvira at Mhishi Shopping Centre. However, the suspect attempted to flee upon noticing the detectives.
“Upon noticing the detectives, the suspect fled, leading to the detectives firing warning shots, but he did not stop. Resultantly, the suspect was shot on the leg leading to his arrest,” Nyathi said.
Further investigations led detectives to Warren Park 1 Shopping Centre, where four suspects were intercepted while allegedly planning another robbery.
“The police identified themselves and ordered the suspects to surrender. The suspects fired shots at the officers. A shootout ensued leading to the subsequent shooting of the four suspects,” he said.
The suspects were taken to Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals, where they were pronounced dead upon admission.
Police recovered a cache of weapons and other items from the suspects’ vehicle, including a pistol, a revolver, a pellet gun and 35 rounds of live ammunition. Other items recovered include explosives, mobile phones, identity documents and clothing believed to have been used during the robberies.
Nyathi said investigations have so far linked the suspects to multiple robbery incidents across Harare.
“The suspects are clearing several armed robbery cases,” he said.
These include a February 25 break-in at Kuwadzana 2 Shopping Centre where goods worth US$500 were stolen, as well as an attack on security guards in Aspindale the following day, during which a .38 Rossi revolver was stolen.
The gang is also linked to a March 25 robbery at a liquor store in Glen Norah, where beverages valued at nearly US$2 000 were taken.
Nyathi reiterated the police’s firm stance against violent crime, warning that officers will respond decisively to armed suspects.
“The Zimbabwe Republic Police reiterates that there is no going back in the fight against armed robbery cases in the country. In this regard, the Police will decisively respond appropriately to any form of violent confrontation by armed robbery gangs,” he said.
