Australian women linked to ISIS leave Syrian camp

SYDNEY, May 22 (Reuters) – A second ⁠group of Australian women and children linked to the Islamic State (ISIS) extremist ⁠group have departed a refugee camp in northeast Syria and may be ‌returning to Australia, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported on Friday.

The broadcaster said a bus carrying the group left the Al-Roj camp on Thursday afternoon under escort by a convoy of Syrian government officials. The ​group is expected to reach Damascus, though it ⁠remains unclear when they might travel ⁠to Australia, the report said.

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said Australia’s security and intelligence ⁠agencies ‌had been preparing for the return of women linked to ISIS for more than a decade.

“This is not a coherent group, there is a ⁠spectrum in terms of the actions of the individuals while ​they have been away ‌from Australia,” Burke said by email.

He did not provide details about the ⁠group’s travel to ​Australia.

The Australian government has previously ruled out providing direct assistance for the return of Australian families linked to ISIS but has acknowledged “very serious limits” to preventing citizens from re-entering the ⁠country.

Earlier this month, four women and nine children ​linked to ISIS returned to Australia after spending seven years in detention camps. Upon arrival, Kawsar Ahmad, 54, and her daughter Zeinab Ahmad, 31, were charged with slavery offences, while ⁠32-year-old Janai Safar faced terror-related charges.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *